Seize the Day: 24 hours in Bangkok-Thailand

I've always thought that Bangkok was a bit overrated when it comes to tourist spots. And oh boy, was I wrong! 

Last year, after a nearly 2-week dance festival in Surin-Thailand (8-12 hours away from Bangkok), I only had the privilege of having 1 day to see Bangkok. I wanted to see so many places that were quite unreachable given the limited time I had -- such as the river markets. 

AND! I was pretty afraid of getting lost in Bangkok after remembering the film, The Hangover Part II...


But thanks to Google and being drug-free (lol), I was able to see 4 different & wonderful places in Bangkok.

So first, I had to consider traveling with a group of 25! And believe me, it wasn't easy... We had time limits for each place/area and had to see each other at a meeting place at a time. 


MBK Center & Jim Thompson House

Everyone wanted to go shop for some cheap finds and souvenirs. So we all went to the the MBK Center in the morning at around 10am and had up until 2pm to go around until meeting time. 

Personally, I thought 4hours in the MBK Center was too much -- especially it sort of felt just like being in Greenhills. So I Googled and saw that the Jim Thompson House was only 5 minutes away from the MBK Center! So, being separated from the group for 4hours, I went to the Jim Thompson House before 12 and had my lunch there. 

The Jim Thompson House has a lot of history -- both in culture & industry. I really enjoyed going around this place, not to mention there's no admission fee needed -- not unless you wish to have a guided tour. 
Making of silk from silkworms

In here, you can see how their products are produced from silk worms. And trust me when I say that their silk scarves are not cheap! Though, I still bought some souvenir shirts for my nephew & brother and some silk scarves for my mother & sister-in-law.

Apart from seeing how these silk worms are processed, you will get to enjoy the well-preserved interiors of Jim Thompson's house. Also, there's a restaurant and a wine bar wherein you can relax and just enjoy the very detailed interiors of the house.

I really got to enjoy this place. And you can finish this within just an hour & a half or 2. 


The Grand Palace

I usually thought that temples can be a little overrated and not to mention that I hate places that are cramped with people especially when it's hot & humid.

But The Grand Palace is definitely a must! I've enjoyed every part of this place, regardless of the humidity at that time.  
Grand Palace: Wat Phra Kheaw

There is an entrance fee of 500Baht or PhP560 per person & an additional 100baht or PhP132 for an audio guide. 

The Grand Palace is just really too big... You'd need at least half of the day to maximize everything that's in it. There are more than a dozen of areas to see in this place -- unfortunately, I didn't have the privilege to see all of it due to the lack of time.


Keep in mind that this is not only a palace but a temple, so there is a dress code -- avoid wearing shorts or short skirts. Though, in most temples inside this place, they provide a piece of cloth that you can wrap around your waist so that you can enter some of the temples. 
Monks chanting in a temple


Also, the Grand Palace has a last call for tourists who want to go in at 3:30pm. So make sure to make it there before that time. 
Towers; Detailed carvings


Patpong Market

Lastly, I went to a famous night life place, the Patpong Market. I wanted to see the fuss in here since it was also one of the places where The Hangover Part II had its craziest scenes. 

Though, I had the mistake of going here alone -- I'm pretty sure it would have been a lot more fun & crazier if I went with 3-5 friends; but they were all tired & getting ready for our early flight the next day and I didn't want to waste the opportunity of seeing the night life in Bangkok -- and so I went alone. Ten points for a brave soul! LOL! 
PatPong Market: GoGo Bars

I wouldn't get too detailed with what I saw in Patpong Market because some are a little too explicit such as the PingPong Girls and more. HAHA.
PatPong Market: Night Bazaar

A word of caution, don't be fooled by the locals for overly priced souvenirs & goodies, food, and beer. Learn some local basic phrases that can help you around! Also, have a map or your GoogleMaps app ready. Even in such a small place, you can get lost!


I had such a tiring day, but it was all worth it. 

I definitely wish I had more time to see Bangkok.
I'm definitely up for a return to see more!



For those who have very limited time to see Bangkok, like me, I hope this helped to give you an idea for a 1-day itinerary.
Until next time <3

1 comment:

  1. The above mentioned matter is easy to not only understand but also explain. Even I can elaborate subject of this article now very easily because I it is easy to understand for me. Really a creative expert skill possessed by author.
    ราคา server

    ReplyDelete